Linking one Evernote note to another is an amazingly powerful feature. The ability to link a note adds great organization and structure to the Evernote database. There are two ways to create links in Evernote, which causes a bit of confusion. Below I will show you the various techniques you can use to take advantage of this powerful, often overlooked feature. First is the how to create links in Evernote, then a quick video demonstrating how links are created in Evernote.
How to create links in Evernote:
Linking Evernote Notes The first type of link is a note link:
Note: (no pun intended) You can not change the name. The name of the link will be the note name.
October 16, 2013 – Update: Evernote Note Links are only available in the Mac & Windows desktop version. You can not create note links on the Evernote Web version.
You can link text in Evernote by highlighting any text area. Linking text is more flexible because you have complete control over the name of the link. Further text links can be to anything, a web address, a file on your computer, etc…
- First, we need to copy the link. As before, go to a note that you want to link to, right click and select copy note link.
- Go to the text you want to be linked and Highlight the text.
- Right click on the highlighted text.
- From the right click menu click link > Add…
- Once you select Add, a pop up box will appear, paste the code from you clipboard that you acquired from step 1. when you opted to “copy the note link” and hit return.
- The result will be a blue link like this.
Note: (again, no pun intended:) You follow the same exact steps 1-5 for linking to an external website, URL or file. Everyone says “wow!” once they realize the power of links. Your Evernote notes no longer have to float around with tags in notebooks. You can structure a notebook with a table of contents that has clickable resources. You can embed the linkable notes in any area you type. The possibilities are endless, but that is for another post forthcoming. Here is a quick video linking Evernote Notes:
Final Analysis: Evernote links are one of the most powerful features of Evernote. Use links often.